Sunday, November 21, 2010

Mythbusters: Leeds Edition

On Tuesday Engineers Without Borders (EWB) had a benefit concert where bands played and happiness was abundant. While there, I met a guy who actually goes to school at Leeds and is studying abroad at KU (why you would come to the middle of wheat fields to explore the US, i have no clue). Anyways, I got ask him about all of the rumors I have heard about schools and England and just general information about the place I'll be for almost five months. Here they are:
Rumor #1: Students in England don't go to class.
     TRUE - Apparently, no one goes to class. If you do, you'll be one of like 5. He said my upper level courses, like Fluid Mechanics and what not I should probably attend a little more frequently, but the others it doesn't really matter.
Rumor #2: Final Exams are worth the majority of my grade.
     TRUE - Most final exams are 70-100% of my grade and last for 2-3 hours. However, a 70% and above is the equivalency of an A. So that's awesome and totally manageable.
Rumor #3: They drink. Like a lot.
     TRUE - He told me its no big deal if you get out of classes early to just go get a drink or something. I get the feeling they take it all a little different than we do. I feel like here alcohol is such a big deal, while there its just part of their everyday life. Get back to you on that one, though.
Fact #1: Leeds has 3 universities in it.
     So apparently there are three different "unies" (sp?) as he called them in the city of Leeds, meaning there are about 100,000 students in the city. He told me there is a huge areas of houses and stuff that only students live in, so that should be kind of cool.
Fact #2: Leeds is well good.
     He said this about 15 times. He said there is so much to do. There's the city centre, which is a short walk away from the uni and has bars and shops and all sorts of fun things. I'm pretty much pumped.
Fact #3: London is great, but its so big you can't find parties.
     That's a direct quote. I don't really have anything to add.
Fact #4: He's going to tell him friends to look out for me.
     Not sure if I should be creeped out by that or happy that some random English dudes will make sure someone doesn't take advantage of me. I guess I'll find out.

I guess the moral of this conversation is this is going to be awesome. And I should start using phrases like uni and well good so I fit in and don't look like a moron. Oh crap. What if I use hella or holla or some other weird phrase and they all look at me like I'm psycho? Though I guess everyone kinda does that now, and I still have friends, so it can't be too bad, right? Again, guess I'll find out.
Well, that's all for now. Happy Thanksgiving everyone!

The Well Good American Going to a Uni,
Jessica

No comments:

Post a Comment