Saturday, October 30, 2010

Hippies and Harry Potter

In 59 days I leave for England. That number kind of worries me. I feel like I haven't done enough for this trip. I haven't even looked at my packet for this in a week, so that's probably not good. So I just pulled it out, hoping that there wasn't something I was supposed to turn in a week ago. Going through my intimidatingly thick packet of information:
Financial contract: done, but only because it had to be done three days after I got this monster
Financial Planning Form: I don't even know what this is. It says something about taking this to an appointment with a Financial Aid Counselor, but I don't know what that means either. I hope that's ok....
Do You Need to Apply for a UK Student Visa? Sheet: Apparently I don't. But it does say to check out  the last page on entering as a student visitor. Yea...that page isn't there.
Travel Buddy Program Form: No thank you, Study Abroad.
Application Form for the University of Leeds: Oh hey, I've done this already!
Study Abroad Acceptance Checklist: Not a checklist, but actually a large packet of forms disguised as a checklist. I filled my name out on all of them. That counts for something right?
Travax Report: Basically told me all the shots I have to get before I leave. Thankfully, I've already gotten most them. Needles and I do not get along very well.
Great Britain's High Volume Demand for Photos: So apparently UK schools love them some passport sized pictures. So I have to go get tons.

Outside of the loads of paperwork I still I have to do, there is one thing I do have down: luggage.
Coming from the non-traditional vacationers my parents are (I love them, but we take some unusual trips), we didn't exactly go with "normal" luggage. You know, this type of deal:




No, we're too cool for that type of stuff. So instead, over fall break, my family spent an hour at R.E.I. looking at backpacks. And I don't mean the backpack you take to school and carry your books around in. I'm talking about the backpacks people use to go hiking for a month or backpack through europe with. Yea, I now own one of those. But of course, I can't bring four months worth of what not in one backpack. So I'm going Harry Potter style and bringing a large trunk that is as old as my grandparents. It has wheels, so that should be helpful, but I still feel as though I'm gonna look like I robbed an old geiser and a hippie of their luggage. I mean, imagine seeing a 20 year old American girl running through an airport with a backpacking backpack on strapped to her back and pulling a large, old, wooden trunk behind her. It should be an adventure, that's for sure.
Well, now that I've wasted a good half hour of homework time, I must return to it.
Happy Halloween!
The Hippie Harry Potter Luggage Girl,
Jessica

No comments:

Post a Comment