Thursday, January 27, 2011

Aussie Aussie Aussie

Things here in England are going pretty well. I've only been out in the rain once, and that lasted for all of 2 minutes. I've had my fish and chips, toffee crisp, and tea. I've began looking to the right first to ensure I don't get hit by a car. I've even started dressing a little classier, just like a good little Brit. Tuesday I had my first physics class. Not quite sure what to think of it...could be hard, could be easy, could be somewhere in between. I did confirm that the girl:guy ratio is no different here in the UK than it is back in the states when it comes to math and science things. That night I went to the Eldon Pub for international night. Because the Eldon has incredibly cheap prices on international night, the place was packed. Moving was impossible. Standing was impossible, due to people attempting to move. And sitting, well that was just out of the question. Finally, a group of us left to go to Dry Docks, which is literally a boat sitting on land. With the new found room to move, breathe, and generally be in a comfortable state, I met some new international students and tried Bulmer's, a cider. Wednesday I woke up quite happy, knowing I had absolutely no classes and the whole day to spend doing whatever I wanted. I took a stroll down to the city centre and did some shopping and explored some areas I hadn't run into before.


Primark, the picture above, is my new favorite shop. Its basically the UK Forever 21. It has really cute clothes, shoes, and acessories for insanely good prices. My trip there on Wednesday included a crazy girl fight in which multiple security guards had to interfere. It was an experience, that's for sure. Later that night, I headed to the International Students Club's Culture Shock Comedy, where they tried to demonstrate culture shock in a funny way. Tried being the key word. After it was off to rock it with the Australians. Wednesday was Australia Day, which is basically the Aussie equivalent of the 4th of July. We went to an Australian Bar, Walkabout Inn, danced to some Aussie tunes, and wore some sweet hats. Every once in a while the DJ would shout out "AUSSIE AUSSIE AUSSIE!" The crowd then responded with, "OI OI OI!" There was a hot tub, surf board simulator, and Australian flags everywhere.





Today I had my first Statics class. So far its not looking like its going to be that difficult, considering my first homework assignment was something I could have done sophomore year of high school. I also started up on my Introduction to Environmental Sustainability class, which is almost entirely online. That should be somewhat of challenge because there won't be a professor pushing me to complete my assignments on time. Well, there is, I just never see his or her face. But for an added bonus (probably not for you, but I think its super sweet), the longest corridor in the UK:



The Australian for a Day,
Jessica


1 comment:

  1. I really like your blog !! I wish I was that descriptive so I could also make one of my time here in Leeds= )

    ReplyDelete