Saturday, January 22, 2011

Some Salmon, Flowers, and A Refridgerator

So I've been here for four days now, and I feel like I've really started to get a good handle on the city and campus. I've been walking just about everywhere, which my feet have not appreciated. But its wonderful to walk. I feel like you really get to know a place better when you walk. You have time to take in the surroundings, noticing little details and overhearing conversations of the natives. Its about a 10 or 15 minute walk to most places I need to be on campus. At the heart of campus is their union, which is insanely large and amazing. It has a giant cafeteria, called the Refectory, that serves fair trade and organic food by day, and then transforms into a concert hall some nights. Big name bands such as The Who, The Rolling Stones, and Bob Marley have played there. And that's just the beginning. There are two bars in the Union, one called the Terrace, which is more like a club-like bar, and the other The Old Bar, which is more like a pub. BUT WAIT, there's more. There are 3 clubs in their union, one with r&b, one with indie, and one the locals classify as cheese. It rocks out to grooves such as S Club 7 and The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air. There are also a lot of places to eat...you can even get your hair cut. Not going to lie, this place is pretty awesome.
I've also explored the city centre a few times. Its about a 20 to 30 minute walk from where I live. There are a bunch of shops and restaurants down there. A shop called Primark is basically the British equivalency of a Forever 21, so naturally I'm already obsessed. Before going down in today, we stopped at lunch right next door. I had a delicious smoked salmon and cream cheese sandwich with a Fruit Twist Fanta(Fanta here is made with real fruit juice, has not artificial coloring or preservatives, and is generally way more delicous). Check it out:
  

Walking around we stumbled across this florist that had some of the sweetest flowers I've ever seen. There were flowers I didn't recognize along with flowers that I only really see in the plastic form back in the states. Check it:

The only complaints I have are, first of all, every British student always looks super nice. Even the guys looks classy. I feel like I have to buy an entirely new wardrobe in order to fit into their fab culture. But hey, at least they don't all look like trash all the time. That would probably be worse. Second complaint is I'm pretty sure my heater is broken. Last night I went to bed wearing 2 pairs of socks, 3 pairs of pants, 3 shirts, and a pair of gloves. I looked ridiculous and was, unfortunately, still cold.




Hopefully someone will be working the desk sometime soon and I can ask them about how to fix this rather frigid problem.
Well, I need to make myself some dinner now.
The cold but still loving life American,
Jessica


No comments:

Post a Comment