Monday, January 31, 2011

Liverpool: City of the Beatles, Boats, and Giant Cathedrals

Friday night was Chav night at Fruity, a night at the night clubs located in the union. For all of you unknowning Americans out there, a chav, from what I understand, is basically a white trailer trash gangster. If you can imagine that at all. So I, along with some friends, went out dressed like idiots. I sported a bright pink velour track suit. Embarrassing, but it happened:
Saturday I took my first adventure outside of Leeds. After getting back extraordinarily late from my night out as a chav, I slept the whole 2 hour bus ride and arrived, still half asleep, in Liverpool. We went to go see how expensive the Beatles museum was, but due to the long line and chunk of change it cost to get it, we decided to pass. I do have a picture like I actually went in, though.
We then headed to the massive amounts of free things to do in Liverpool, starting with the Maritime museum. I learned all about the tons of boats that had either left from Liverpool or were destined for Liverpool that sank somewhere in the deep blue sea, including the Titanic. I'm convinced Liverpool is just jinxed. After the museum we walked in the direction of the art museum. I took far too many pictures of some of the wonderful buildings in Liverpool.I felt like I had some disorder where I needed to stop and take a picture of every somewhat cool and/or interesting building.
We stopped at a Spanish Tapas bar for lunch and has some amazing food. It wasn't a lot (we definitely could have eaten more. But it was still quite delicious.
After lunch we made it to the art museum. It was pretty small, mostly holding exhibits on Renaissance art, which isn't my favorite. The small contemporary exhibit was rather nice, though, and held some interesting pieces. Overall, though, I definitely liked the actual building better than the pieces of art I saw.

After the art museum, we went to the Liverpool Cathedral. The Liverpool Cathedral is the largest in the UK, the 6th largest in the world, and the largest Anglican cathedral in the world. I was literally in awe the entire time of its awe and beauty. It was completed in 1978, so it more recent that I originally thought. The pictures I took could not begin to show its true size and beauty. Tip: Look for the person or other objects in the pictures to show you the scale.



Your Liverpool Expert,
Jessica

1 comment:

  1. "I felt like I had some disorder where I needed to stop and take a picture of every somewhat cool and/or interesting building."

    You act like this is a new thing, and that you have not always had this disorder.

    ReplyDelete