Monday, January 24, 2011

DUBSTEP

I have now survived my first weekend in England. It seems like I've been here forever, or at least a week. Saturday night I ventured to the night clubs located in the Union for an event called Vagabondz. One my friends' flatmates had invited them, so I went, thinking there was no way I was going to enjoy this dubstep music. Quite the contrary. For some reason, I wound up fancying the big bass and electronic beats booming out the speakers so loud I think it began to regulate my heart rate. I think one of the reasons I enjoyed it so much was due to how the English dance. Back in the states, a constant fear of some guy coming up behind you and attempting to...get up on it...is always there. However, the English are far less touchy in their dancing technique. Dubstep also allows you to kind of bob and sway back and forth to the beat, more like a concert, which I really didn't mind. Check out a picture of the peaceful and soothing environment of dubstep:
 Because I did not get back until extraordinarily late, I in turn did not wake up for a while on Sunday. I simply wound up finding my classes for the following week throughout campus. We broke into the Civil Engineering building to find our classes, and discovered a rather lovely building. I think KU should take some notes.




After exploring, we went to the Eldon, a popular pub, for dinner. I finally had some fish and chips. Not going to lie, they were AMAZING! Fish and chips are good in the states, but they can not compare to the deliciousness of those. After I got back, I chatted for a while with my flatmates. They are all 1st year nursing students and were completely fascinated with the fact that I ate PB&J. They then asked if I eat Capn'Crunch since apparently every movie they watch features it. To their amazement, I informed them it was my faves.
Today I went to my first 3 classes. As my fellow ArchE friend, Quinn, and I sat outside of our first class, we were perplexed that no one was showing up. Eventually, we figured out, with help from Student Support in the Engineering buildings, that that particular lecture only runs for one week. The next class, Construction Economics, went fine. We got some lunch after class. I had chicken stew and mash. It was so amazing, except for the black slices of some mystery substance.

We walked down to the city centre to exchange the wad of American cash we had and purchase some essentials, got our student ID cards, and headed off to our final class, Physics Test. Being the Americans we are, that class did not run this week either. So I wound up with only 1 class today. Not too big of deal. Around 6 I headed to the Global Cafe, where they serve free tea and biscuits (cookies), and a bunch of international students gather to talk and enjoy free food. Afterward, I came back and made my first meal here, spaghetti. It was quite delicious if I do say so myself.
And here's a pic of the slightly creepy and morbid, used to be a cemetery St. George's Field on campus. Please note the tombstones both rising up on the left and used as stepping stones on the ground.



Your English dubstep, classes, and cemetery-turned-"field" expert,
Jessica

No comments:

Post a Comment